Information leaflet on Access to Studies
Access to any Bachelor's/Master's Degrees studies at the University of Jaén is through the Distrito Único Andaluz.
The prescription to Bachelor's/Master's Degrees can be done in any of the three available phases. The exact dates for pre-registration can be checked in the webpage of the Distrito Único Andaluz.
Phase One - Foreign Access. In March (international students only) Access for foreign students, with studies from foreign educational systems that require homologation.
- To be in possession of qualifications obtained in the education systems of non-EU Member States with which no international agreements have been signed, that are homologated or equivalent to the Spanish baccalaureate.
- Identity card or passport
- Approval or receipt of application.
Second phase - Ordinary. June - July (for nationals and foreigners)
Requirements (for foreign students):
- To be in possession of the Spanish Baccalaureate degree and to have passed the Baccalaureate Assessment test for access to University.
- To be in possession of the European Baccalaureate /International Baccalaureate/ Baccalaureate qualifications of the EU Member States or of other States with which international agreements have been signed.
- Be in possession of qualifications obtained in the education systems of non-EU Member States with which international agreements have not been signed, which are approved or equivalent to the Spanish baccalaureate or higher vocational education and training qualifications, or have requested their approval. In addition, the student must have passed the Baccalaureate Assessment test for access to University.
- Identity card or passport
- Approval or receipt of application.
Third phase - Extraordinary. July (for nationals and foreigners)
Requirements and documentation:
- Same as for the Ordinary phase.
- In the case of students coming from education systems of non-EU Member States with which no international agreements have been signed, in this phase they will be able to access with the only validation of the baccalaureate, without having to take the assessment test.
As for the duration, the Bachelor's Degrees last 4 years. In this link you can see all the academic offer of the University of Jaén for Bachelor's Degrees.
- First phase - Foreigners (January) Access for foreign students only.
- Second phase - Ordinary (June - July) Access for nationals and foreigners
- Third phase - Extraordinary (September - October) Access for nationals and foreigners.
Being in possession of a Spanish Bachelor's Degree, the title of Architect, Engineer, Licentiate, Technical Architect, Diploma, Technical Engineer or Teacher, or another expressly declared equivalent or approved to any of them.
Being in possession of a foreign university degree issued by a higher education institution of the European Higher Education Area that entitles the holder to access master's degree courses in the country that issued the degree.
Being in possession of a foreign university degree, equivalent to the level of a degree in Spain, but which has not been officially approved by the Spanish Ministry of Education and which entitles the student to follow officially approved studies in his/her country of origin.
Therefore, graduates under foreign educational systems may access a Master's without the need for homologation of their degrees.
They must also meet the specific requirements of the master's degree courses they wish to take.
- Identity card or Passport
- University bachelor's degree
- Certification of the official academic record.
- Certificate issued by the university or official body of the country of origin where the minimum grade to pass a course is stated, as well as the maximum classification that can be obtained.
- Official document that certifies that the applicant has a degree that entitles him/her to pursue postgraduate studies in the country of origin.
Once the admission lists are published, different scenarios can be found:
- NO PLACE: in case you have not obtained a place in the university and studies you wanted, you will have to wait for the publication of the next phase and check if you have obtained a place on that occasion.
YOU GET A PLACE, BUT IT IS NOT THE STUDY/UNIVERSITY OF YOUR CHOICE: As you know, you can choose different Bachelor's/Master's Degrees. If you have obtained a place in one of the degrees, but it is not your first choice, you can choose to stay on the waiting list. If you wish to wait to obtain a place in other degree of greater preference than the one assigned, you must reserve the place assigned, which will be used to appear in the next awarding and obtain a place, if possible, in a degree of greater preference. IMPORTANT! If you do not make a reservation, you will be excluded from the system for all purposes.
- YOU GET A PLACE IN YOUR FIRST CHOICE: If you have obtained a place in the first degree you selected, you are obliged to accept the place and make the registration. Otherwise you will be expelled from the process.
PENDING DOCUMENTATION OR VALIDATION: This message only appears in the first awarding and means that you must provide the documentation that you failed to submit with the pre-registration application. Once you have submitted it within the pending period, it will be considered that you have accepted the place and must register. If you do not deliver the documentation within the specified period, you will be expelled from the process.
As for the duration, the Master's Degrees last 1 or 2 years. In this link you can see all the academic offer of the University of Jaén for master's degrees.
Homologation is a procedure carried out by the Government of Spain so that a degree from a foreign country outside the European Union is valid in Spain. The process must be done on the website of the Ministry: https://www.educacionyfp.gob.es/servicios-al-ciudadano/catalogo/gestion-titulos/estudios-no-universitarios/titulos-extranjeros/homologacion-convalidacion-no-universitarios.html
If you get a place at the University of Jaén, the next step is to register. In order to register, it is necessary to obtain a user name and password. This is obtained in the following link with the DNI (without letter) /NIE (without final letter) /PASSPORT and the password of the Distrito Único Andaluz.
Once you have your user name and password, you can register using the links on this page and within the deadlines set by Distrito Único Andaluz. Please note that within your registration period you will be able to enter the application form as many times as you want.
If payment is not made within the deadlines, it is assumed that you will renounce your registration and lose your place. If there is a reason that prevents you from paying on time and you can justify it with documents, please inform us before the receipt expires (information on how to pay the registration fee).
The price of the registration at the University of Jaén, stipulated by the Andalusian Government, is around 750 € for the Bachelor's degree, and 820 € for the Master's degree. From the second year onwards, the registration fee can be much cheaper thanks to the 99% discount from the Junta de Andalucía. This scholarship discounts 99% of those credits approved in the first registration. Those starting their degree studies for the first time must register for the 60 credits in the first year. From then on, 99% of the cost of each credit approved from the second and subsequent years will be deducted. More information in the following link.
As for the duration, the Bachelor's Degrees last 4 years and the Master's Degrees 1 or 2. In this link you can see all the academic offer of the University of Jaén for Bachelor's degrees and Master's degrees.
The University of Jaén offers some courses in other languages. Divided into three levels, bilingualism can range from materials and notes to all lessons plus tutorials. In this link you can check the bilingual courses and their level: Courses in other languages
The Vice-Rectorate for Internationalization of the UJA offers foreign students the so-called Buddy program. This program puts Spanish students in contact with foreign students who have recently arrived in the city so that they can help them in various aspects such as finding accommodation, advice on access routes to Jaén, accompaniment to the campus and to the International Relations office or assistance with the registration process and the operation of the University's Intranet.
In the following link you can find more information and the registration form: Buddy Program