Work permits

If you are not an EU citizen, you will need to obtain a work permit in order to work at the University of Jaén. Information on how to apply for a work permit can be obtained from the Spanish Embassy in your country of origin (a list of Spanish embassies and consulates around the world is available on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, European Union and Cooperation website). If you are exempt from requiring a work permit, you can also seek guidance from the Spanish Embassy or Consulate in your country of origin before travelling

The EU Blue Card is issued to highly qualified workers who wish to work in an EU country like Spain.

What is the EU Blue Card?

A Blue Card gives highly qualified workers from outside the EU permission to live and work in an EU country, provided they have higher professional qualifications such as a university degree and an employment contract or a binding job offer with a high salary compared to the average in the EU country where the job is located.

The EU Blue Card is valid in 25 of the 27 EU countries. It does not have it in Denmark and Ireland.

Another option for working in the EU is the scientific visa, which allows researchers to enter, stay and work in an EU member state so that they can conduct research.

Work permitsFor more information on this and other employment-related matters, we strongly recommend that you visit the EU Immigration Portal, which contains practical information about options for working and studying in the EU for more than 90 days, as well as about family reunification. The portal also provides information about stays of up to 90 days in Spain.

Freedom to work in Spain without a work permit is a right enjoyed by all EU citizens from EU member states: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia and Sweden. Citizens of Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway may also work in Spain under the same conditions as EU nationals despite not being EU member states, as they belong to the European Economic Area. Swiss citizens may also live and work in the EU as part of the agreement between the EU and Switzerland on free movement of people, as described on the European Commission on Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion website.