ESTE DOCTORADO SE ENCUENTRA EN PROCESO DE RENOVACIÓN DE LA ACREDITACIÓN
Día: 26 de febrero del 2019
Lugar: Sala de juntas Edificio D1
Este título se encuentra en proceso de renovación de la acreditación. En el siguiente enlace encontrarás la programación y horario de las distintas audiencias que se realizarán durante la visita externa. A la "audiencia pública" podrán asistir aquellas personas que no habiendo sido convocadas en ninguna audiencia deseen comunicar cualquier aspecto al panel de expertos en relación al título evaluado.
Become a qualified researcher in the field of Law under the supervision of world-wide acknowledged specialists
The province of Jaen offers many different job opportunities for people having a doctoral diploma in Law, as officials for civil guard, local, autonomic and national administration. At the same time, each year a large number of students achieve a bachelor´s degree in Law and related fields from University of Jaen. Furthermore, the collaborations of the teams involved provide a high degree of internationalization to this doctoral programme, facilitating cultural exchange.
The different subjects dealing with law included in the study plans of existing bachelor´s and master´s degrees in the University of Jaen also justify the availability of students with the necessary background to get enrolled in doctoral studies.
The Faculty involved in the programme includes specialists in many different aspects of law and is endowed with a high academic qualification and a high level of internationalization. This makes a coherent programme with a high capacity for integration into the society, not only at local level but also in foreign countries such as Italian and Latin American sectors.
The topics included in this doctoral programme fall within the objectives and strategic lines of the two International Excellence Campuses in which the University of Jaen participates, eg. the Campus Agroalimentario and Patrimonio Cultural y Natural.
You may also take advantage of complementary training activities offered by the University of Jaen aimed at improving your personal and professional qualification.
The main goal of this doctoral programme is to provide advanced training for PhD students in Law and related disciplines.
You may check the complete list of competencies offered by this doctoral programme.
The ideal applicant profile is people like you, who are interested in developing research in Law and willing to take advantage of the opportunities offered in this field. Applicants should be motivated for making new discoveries through research, and have the capacity for critical thinking, comprehension, interpretation and application of research results.
General access requirements for Doctoral Programmes at the University of Jaen
In general, access to an official doctoral programme is available to persons in possession of a Spanish official bachelor's degree, or equivalent, and a university master's degree.
Access is also available to persons who meet one of the following conditions:
- Being in possession of an official Spanish university qualification, or one of another member country of the European Higher Education Area, which qualifies them for access to a master's degree in accordance with the provisions of Article 16 of Royal Decree 1393/2007, of October 29, and having obtained a minimum of 300 ECTS credits in all official university studies, of which at least 60 must be at master's level.
- Being in possession of an official Spanish degree whose duration, according to the rules of Community law, is at least 300 ECTS credits. These graduates must attend the mandatory bridging courses referred to in Article 7.2 of these regulations, unless the curriculum of said degree includes research training credits equivalent in educational value to the research credits obtained in master’s degree courses.
- Being in possession of a university degree and, after obtaining a training place in the entrance test to specialized medical training, having obtained a positive evaluation in at least two years of training in a programme to obtain an official degree in one of the Health Science specialties.
- Being in possession of a degree obtained under a foreign education system, without need for official recognition, after the University has verified that said degree accredits a level of education equivalent to the Spanish official master´s degree and allows admission to doctoral studies in the country issuing the qualification. In no case shall this admission imply the official recognition of the original qualification held by the individual or its recognition for purposes other than access to doctoral studies. Regardless of this, the doctoral degree obtained will be officially valid in Spain.
- Being in possession of a Bachelor, Architect or Engineer degree and also having achieved the Diploma de Estudios Avanzados in accordance with the provisions of Royal Decree 778/1998, of April 30, or the research proficiency stipulated in the Royal Decree 185/1985, of January 23.
- Being in possession of another Spanish doctoral degree obtained under earlier university regulations.
Specific access requirements for Doctoral Studies in Law
This doctoral programme is open to those in possession of a bachelor´s degree in Law, Public Administration and Management, or Labour Relations. Applicants must also be in possession of a Master degree with a broad coverage of topics related to Law in a broad sense.
With exception, those applicants lacking previous training related to the aforementioned disciplines and meeting the general criteria for access to doctoral studies could also be admitted to this doctoral programme. In this case, the Academic Commission of the doctoral programme will determine the complementary training that the applicant must complete in order to be admitted by taking the recommended courses from bachelor degrees or master studies at the University of Jaen related to the topic of the thesis. The training activities, evaluation and training results will be those established in the corresponding study plan.
The following criteria laid down in article 9.3.c of the Regulation of Doctoral Studies of the University of Jaen will apply for admission of applicants:
- The adequacy of the applicant background giving access to doctoral studies to the topic of the thesis. 1.0 point.
- The curriculum vitae of applicant. 2.5 points.
- The interest of the research line of the thesis for the Department, Research Centre and personnel involved in direction of the PhD thesis, as informed by the corresponding legal representative/scientific personnel involved. 3.5 points.
- Applicant´s complementary training requirements and time availability for carrying out the thesis. 0.5 points.
- Availability of permanent research staff with accredited research experience at the corresponding research area solicited by applicant. 1.5 points.
- Available resources to carry out the research tasks proposed by applicant. 1.0 point.
In order to be admitted, the applicant must obtain a mark higher than 7 points. The applicant must also have written consent from a scientific researcher qualified according to University of Jaen rules who will act as the thesis supervisor.
Students may enroll in doctoral studies at full dedication, or part-time if duly justified. The maximum period of permanence in PhD studies will be 3 years full-time or 5 years part-time. Students may ask for an ordinary extension for one year if enrolled full-time or two years if enrolled part-time. After this, all students may ask for an extraordinary extension period of one year. Applications for the extensions provided for in current legislation are to be duly reasoned and will be resolved by the Academic Committee for the PhD programme. Students may also apply for a temporary leave for a maximum period of one year, and extendible to one further year. Students may be excluded from the programme if they do not renew enrolments or if they obtain two negative overall assessments consecutively in the training and research activities in which they are enrolled for that year.
According to the rules for enrolment of the University of Jaen, application for doctoral studies is open during the complete year. Application and enrolment in doctoral studies can be done through the University Servicio de Gestión Académica.
There are four periods for application and registration during the year. Places not covered in one period will be added to next period´s offer.
School Year 2018/2019
- Autumn cohort (application open until October 01, 2018)
- Nº of places offered: 11
- Winter cohort (application open until December 14, 2018)
- Nº of places offered: 0
- Spring cohort (application open until April 01, 2019)
- Nº of places offered: 0
- Summer cohort (application open until July 01, 2019)
- Nº of places offered: 0
Send us your application, and you will receive a personalized response in due time.
Yearly demand for places
If you are willing to apply for grants, please check the University International Relations website.
This doctoral programme is based on research lines carried out by teaching and research staff that will be in charge of supervising your research work. The mentor (who may also be your supervisor or a different member of the PhD programme) will guide you through the training activities of the programme.
While the mentor must belong to the university´s permanent staff that participates in the doctoral programme, the thesis supervision can be assigned to any person participating in the programme who is in possession of a PhD degree and has a qualified research experience, either from inside or from outside of the university.
Research team on Constitutional Law and Ecclesiastic Law.
Research team on Administrative Law and Public International Law.
|Carbonell Porras, Eloísa||0000-0002-4955-9414||UJA|
|Gallardo del Castillo, María Jesús||0000-0002-4955-9426||UJA|
|Cuesta Revilla, José||0000-0002-4955-9420||UJA|
|Marti del Moral, Antonio||0000-0002-4955-9440||UJA|
|Gutiérrez Castillo, Víctor||0000-0002-4955-9430||UJA|
|Faramiñan Gilbert, Juan Manuel||0000-0002-4170-5803||UJA|
|Torre Martinez, Lourdes de la||0000-0002-4955-9460||UJA|
|Montañéz Castillo, Lourdes Yolanda||0000-0001-7954-2563||UJA|
Research team on Criminal Law and Procedural Law.
Research team on Law Theory, Human Rights, and History of Law.
Research team on Financial Law, Public Treasury and Economy.
|López Espadafor, Carlos María||0000-0002-5994-2196||UJA|
|Garrido Gonzalez, Luis||0000-0002-3238-1755||UJA|
|Matés Barco, Juan||0000-0002-9302-4209||UJA|
|Pulido Fernández, Juan Ignacio||0000-0002-4955-9449||UJA|
|Jiménez Jiménez, Francisca||0000-0002-4955-9435||UJA|
Research team on Civil and Commercial Law.
|Martínez Gutiérrez, Ángel||0000-0002-9506-2057||UJA|
|Vázquez, Ruano, Trinidad||0000-0002-4955-9461||UJA|
|Gutiérrez Jerez, Luis Javier||0000-0003-1215-6873||UJA|
|Villanueva Lupión, Carmen||0000-0002-0249-9437||UJA|
|Pérez Giménez, María Teresa||0000-0002-4955-9445||UJA|
|Anguita Ríos, Rosa María||0000-0002-6521-3854||UJA|
|Casas Planes, María Dolores||0000-0002-4955-9417||UJA|
|Esteban de la Rosa, Gloria||0000-0002-4955-9422||UJA|
Research team on Labour Law.
|Hermosilla Molina, Olimpia||0000-0002-4955-9432||UJA|
|Molina Navarrete, Cristobal||0000-0002-4955-9442||UJA|
|Villar Cañada, Isabel María||0000-0002-3539-8173||UJA|
|Vallecillo Gámez, María Rosa||0000-0002-9522-1468||UJA|
|García Jiménez, Manuel||0000-0002-4955-9427||UJA|
|Casa Quesada, Susana de la||0000-0002-4955-9416||UJA|
During the course of your PhD thesis, you will be asked to take a set of training activities aimed at achieving the main competences that every PhD from the University of Jaen must develop by the end of doctoral studies:
Compulsory training activities
- General: Framework of doctoral studies.
- General: Framework of scientific research. Research policies.
- General: Design and follow-up of research projects.
- General: Knowledge transfer.
- General: Dissemination of research results.
- General: Employment and researcher career.
- Specific: Relevant contribution from the PhD thesis.
In addition, the student may also get enrolled in other training activities (most of which are programme-specific), aimed at acquisition of specific competences of this doctoral programme.
Optional training activities:
- General: Doctoral seminars.
- Specific: Active participation in seminars, conferences, symposia, courses and workshops.
- Specific: Short-term visit (minimum three months) to a foreign research institution (compulsory for students willing to achieve the International mention in their PhD degree).
You may check the calendar of training activities.
You can get more detailed information on the procedures for registration for the different activities and available grants.
All general training activities are in Spanish. Some specific training activities may be in English.
PhD students must pass a yearly evaluation of their activities. This includes general compulsory activities of doctoral studies and specific optional activities offered by the programme. After enrolment, you will receive a link for completion of your Student´s record of training activitiesand Research plan.
Each year, students must present proof of participation in at least two training activities. Nonetheless, the Academic commission may issue a positive evaluation for students with only one activity if this is duly justified.
The studies are duly completed with the presentation of the PhD thesis and the student´s public dissertation.
After completion of the Research Plan and Training activities, students may proceed to the public defense of their PhD thesis once the thesis has received initial approval from the PhD thesis supervisor(s) and the Academic Committee of the PhD programme as well as final approval from the Steering Committee of the Doctoral School. In order to receive this approval, the thesis must have achieved a relevant contribution signed by the PhD student as first author. The adequacy of the contribution will be determined according to the criteria established by the Comisión Nacional Evaluadora de la Actividad Investigadora (CNEAI) for the main areas of research and knowledge.
At the time of finishing your thesis you may need to check the rules that apply for writing the thesis in a foreign language and for the deposit and thesis defense.
Broadening your experience in other universities now becomes essential in a scenario where information, enterprise and society are globalized. Short-term visits (of at least 3 months) to a foreing institution allow doctoral students to achieve the International mention in their diploma. In addition, the option of Joint Supervision allows you to achieve a PhD degree issued simultaneously by University of Jaen and by a foreign university. Under this modality of study, you will be assigned a thesis supervisor in each of the participating universities under the conditions laid down in the corresponding cotutele agreement.
PhD students may also spend part or most of their training period in a company. The mention of Industrial Doctorate can be obtained provided that the topic of the thesis is embedded in the research strategy of a company to which the doctoral student is bound by a contractual agreement.
There are different types of mobility grants for doctoral students, including FPI (MINECO), FPU (MECD), individual PAIDI grants or Plan de Apoyo a la Investigación, Desarrollo Tecnológico e Innovación from Jaen University. Sudents may also apply for grants from Campus de Excelencia Internacional, Erasmus mobility grants, and grants offered by the Doctoral School of Jaen University.
Complementary Study Programs
The University of Jaén is committed to an integral training of its students. On this page you will find complementary training activities that will allow you to configure a comprehensive curriculum that favors your employability and your professional and personal development. Check this page regularly because the information is continuously updated.
There are no programs of complementary studies that match the specified filter criteria.
The University of Jaen is aware that internships in companies can be essential to your professional career. For that reason, it offers a range of options for you to get enrolled in extracurricular internships, including the University programmes for entrepreneurial activities and Icaro programme. The calls from University of Jaen´s Plan de Apoyo a la Transferencia del Conocimiento, el Emprendimiento y la Empleabilidad may offer you multiple options to facilitate your incorporation to the world of work.
- University teacher
- Postdoctoral internships and grants
- Law assesment to companies and/or Public Administrations
- As a complementary training to professional careers that do not require doctoral studies (such as Lawyer, Attorney, Judge or Magistrate) but still do need a deep knowledge of Law.
Coordination and Quality
The academic coordination commission is the collegiate body in charge of direction and academic management of the title. It interacts directly with the students and is in charge of programming the academic activities offered to the students, preparing the calendar, as well as other academic aspects necessary for an optimal development of the title. It will also be in charge of introducing the modifications included in the improvement process proposed by the title´s Quality Assurance System.
- Ignacio F. Benítez Ortúzar (Coordinator)
- Gerardo Ruiz-Rico Ruiz
- Alberto del Real Alcalá
- Alberto Marti del Moral
- Juan Ignacio Pulido Fernandez
The Internal Quality Assurance Commission of the Doctoral programme performs the function of promoting and facilitating the continued improvement of the different activities (teaching, research, transfer of results, administrative issues) concerning the title. It also analyses the academic results and the level of satisfaction the title and prepares the improvement plan that the Academic commission will then put in practice.
- Presidente: Juan Alberto del Real Alcalá
- Secretario: Antonio Marti del Moral
- Vocal: Juan Ignacio Pulido Fernandez
- Vocal: Cristina Callejón Hernandez (PhD student)
- Vocal: Manuel Molina Cámara (PAS)
The quality assurance system of Jaen University has a two-tiered structure of responsibility. On one side, the corresponding Vice-Rectorate coordinates the quality evaluation process for the different titles, departments and university services and, on the other, the Academic Centre in charge of the title, which applies its Quality Assurance System. The Internal Quality Assurance System of this doctoral programme is available at the following link: Sistema de Garantía de Calidad de la Escuela de Doctorado.
All official titles given by Jaen University undergo different evaluation processes by the Dirección de Evaluación y Acreditación (DEVA) of the Agencia Andaluza del Conocimiento. The different evaluation reports of this title (verification, modification, follow-up and renewal of accreditation) are available through the following link: informes de evaluación de títulos de la DEVA.
The relevant information for this title concerning number of new enrolments, academic results and student´s level of satisfaction with the title is available at the university statistical yearbook (anuario estadístico de la Universidad de Jaén) under the headings “Estudiantes” and “Satisfacción de los grupos de interés”.
You may also check the dropout rates (informes de abandono) for the titles given by Jaen University.
Employability is one of the most important elements of the quality of the title. You can take a look at the report on employability for the different titles at Jaen University (estudios sobre la inserción laboral de los titulados) where you will find the most common professional careers of people who took this doctorate before you.