Become a qualified researcher in the field of fluid mechanics under the supervision of world-wide acknowledged scientists
The movement of fluids is of outmost importance in a large number of natural phenomena and industrial processes as well. Facing these problems in an efficient way requires a multidisciplinary approach. The equations that describe the movement of fluids are already well defined, but their resolution and interpretation still represent a huge scientific challenge in many situations of scientific and technological interest. In Spain, there is a small scientific community in Fluid Mechanics with a remarkable prestige at international level, and also with a growing interest in solving relevant problems in the national industry. Compared to surrounding countries, this is still a quite small group.
One of the aims of this doctoral programme is to gather a multidisciplinary research team in Fluid Mechanics with the necessary critical mass to efficiently face the study of a broad number of problems in fluid dynamics and to initiate collaboration with industrial sectors in strategic issues. A second aim is the training of a scientific community in Fluid Mechanics with the required quality and size as to have an impact in the Spanish science and technology system. This doctoral programme is focused on three main strategic lines for the national industry in which we are recognised experts: a) Energy, b) Aeronautics/Space, and c) Microfluidics and Nanofluidics. The programme includes activities related to organization and transmission of knowledge in coordination with research and development activities. In summary, the programme aims at training scientists and technologists with the capacity to promote collaboration between academia and industry, and to attract researchers from related disciplines in order to create new interdisciplinary groups able to undertake new tasks for generation and transfer of knowledge.
This inter-university programme is offered at the following institutions: University of Jaen (coordinating institution), University Carlos III of Madrid, National Distance Education University, Technical University of Madrid, University of Rovira i Virgili, and University of Zaragoza.
You may also take advantage of complementary training activities offered by the University of Jaen aimed at improving your personal and professional qualification. The quality seal awarded to the University of Jaen by the European Commission "HR Excellence in Research” identifies universities and institutions that generate and support the existence of a stimulating and encouraging research environment. The University of Jaen supports the Recommendations of the European Commission containing the “European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for Recruitment of Researchers” and has a Code of Good Research Practices and a Guide to good research practices for Doctoral Programmes.
Training PhD students with the capacity to carry out high-level research in the field of Fluid Mechanics and its applications.
You may check the complete list of competencies offered by this doctoral programme in Fluid Mechanics by UJA, UC3M, UNIZAR, UNED, UPM y URV.
The ideal applicant profile for this inter-university doctoral programme in Fluid Mechanics is people like you, who are interested in developing research in fluid mechanics and are willing to take advantage of the opportunities offered in this field. Applicants should be motivated for making new discoveries through research, and have the capacity for critical thinking, comprehension, interpretation and application of research results, as well as basic skills in computer tools and English language.
General access requirements for Doctoral Programmes at the University of Jaen
In general, access to an official doctoral programme is available to persons in possession of a Spanish official bachelor's degree, or equivalent, and a university master's degree.
Access is also available to persons who meet one of the following conditions:
- Being in possession of an official Spanish university qualification, or one of another member country of the European Higher Education Area, which qualifies them for access to a master's degree in accordance with the provisions of Article 16 of Royal Decree 1393/2007, of October 29, and having obtained a minimum of 300 ECTS credits in all official university studies, of which at least 60 must be at master's level.
- Being in possession of an official Spanish degree whose duration, according to the rules of Community law, is at least 300 ECTS credits. These graduates must attend the mandatory bridging courses referred to in Article 7.2 of these regulations, unless the curriculum of said degree includes research training credits equivalent in educational value to the research credits obtained in master’s degree courses.
- Being in possession of a university degree and, after obtaining a training place in the entrance test to specialized medical training, having obtained a positive evaluation in at least two years of training in a programme to obtain an official degree in one of the Health Science specialties.
- Being in possession of a degree obtained under a foreign education system, without need for official recognition, after the University has verified that said degree accredits a level of education equivalent to the Spanish official master´s degree and allows admission to doctoral studies in the country issuing the qualification. In no case shall this admission imply the official recognition of the original qualification held by the individual or its recognition for purposes other than access to doctoral studies. Regardless of this, the doctoral degree obtained will be officially valid in Spain.
- Being in possession of a Bachelor, Architect or Engineer degree and also having achieved the Diploma de Estudios Avanzados in accordance with the provisions of Royal Decree 778/1998, of April 30, or the research proficiency stipulated in the Royal Decree 185/1985, of January 23.
- Being in possession of another Spanish doctoral degree obtained under earlier university regulations.
Specific access requirements for Doctoral Studies in Fluid Mechanics
Access to this doctoral programme is open to applicants meeting general access requirements and being in possession of bachelor´s degrees in the fields of Engineering and Architecture or Science, with a high training in contents involving mathematics, physics and/or chemistry (such as degrees in Mechanical Engineering, Engineering in Industrial Technologies, Aerospace Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry, Environmental Sciences....).
With exception, those applicants with degrees in other related disciplines and meeting the general criteria for access to doctoral studies could also be admitted to this doctoral programme. In this case, the Academic Commission of the doctoral programme will determine the complementary training that the applicant must complete in order to be admitted by taking the recommended courses in areas related to the doctoral programme. The training will consist in courses from related masters in Engineering offered by the universities that participate in the programme.
Nevertheless, depending on their previous background in bachelor and master studies, students may also be asked to complete up to 24 credits by taking the bachelor and master courses recommended by the Academic Commission from related study plans of the participating universities. Such courses must include basic training in:
- Mathematics: differential equations, mathematical methods, numerical methods.
- Energy: combustion, heat transfer, energy sources, environmental impact.
- Fluid Mechanics: conservation equations, aerodynamics.
- Experimental techniques in science and engineering.
- Other specific training as determined by the Academic Commission.
The training activities, evaluation and training results will be those established in the corresponding official study plans.
The following criteria laid down in article 9.3.c of the Regulation of Doctoral Studies of the University of Jaen will apply for admission of applicants:
- The adequacy of the applicant background giving access to doctoral studies to the topic of the thesis. 1.0 point.
- The curriculum vitae of applicant. 2.5 points.
- The interest of the research line of the thesis for the Department, Research Centre and personnel involved in direction of the PhD thesis, as informed by the corresponding legal representative/scientific personnel involved. 1.5 points.
- Adequacy of the theme of the thesis to the research lines of the doctoral programme. 2.0 points.
- Applicant´s complementary training requirements and time availability for carrying out the thesis. 0.5 points.
- Availability of permanent research staff with accredited research experience at the corresponding research area solicited by applicant. 1.5 points.
- Available resources to carry out the research tasks proposed by applicant. 1.0 point.
In order to be admitted, the applicant must obtain a mark higher than 7 points. The applicant must also have written consent from a scientific researcher qualified according to University of Jaen rules who will act as the thesis supervisor.
Students may enroll in doctoral studies at full dedication, or part-time if duly justified. The maximum period of permanence in PhD studies will be 3 years full-time or 5 years part-time. Students may ask for an ordinary extension for one year if enrolled full-time or two years if enrolled part-time. After this, all students may ask for an extraordinary extension period of one year. Applications for the extensions provided for in current legislation are to be duly reasoned and will be resolved by the Academic Committee for the PhD programme. Students may also apply for a temporary leave for a maximum period of one year, and extendible to one further year. Students may be excluded from the programme if they do not renew enrolments or if they obtain two negative overall assessments consecutively in the training and research activities in which they are enrolled for that year.
Students with special needs may visit the University Special Education Needs Service. You may get more information on general issues related to doctoral studies at the University Academic Service and the Doctoral School.
According to the rules for enrolment of the University of Jaen, application for doctoral studies is open during the complete year. Application and enrolment in doctoral studies can be done through the University Servicio de Gestión Académica.
There are four periods for application and registration during the year. Places not covered in one period will be added to next period´s offer.
School Year 2020/2021
- Autumn cohort (application open until September 30, 2020; admission and registration during October, 2020)
- Nº of places offered: 1
- Winter cohort (aapplication open until December 12, 2020; admission and registration during January, 2021)
- Nº of places offered: 0
- Spring cohort (application open until April 01, 2019)
- Nº of places offered: 0
- Summer cohort (application open until June 15, 2021; admission and registration deadline July 15, 2021)
- Nº of places offered: 0
Send us your application, and you will receive a personalized response in due time.
Yearly demand for places
If you are willing to apply for grants, please check the University International Relations website.
El doctorado se estructura en torno a líneas de investigación que son desarrolladas por el profesorado del programa que tutorizará tu formación investigadora. La persona que ejerza las labores de tutorización te guiará en las actividades del programa y podrá coincidir o no coincidir con la persona que ejerza las labores de dirección.
La tutorización se realizará por personal de la UJA. Mientras que la dirección se podrá realizar tanto por personal UJA como por personal externo.
List of research topics:
- Fluid Mechanics and Aerospace Engineering.
The different research topics covered by this doctoral programme are supported by its research teams. The teams have enough available resources to carry out the research and have established collaborations with other research staff from different institutions and research centers both at national and international levels. The University of Jaen offers different Services for doctoral students. The programme also benefits from specific agreements established between University of Jaen and other institutions. There is also a large number of foreign institutions and research centres related to the topic of this doctoral programme.
If you are willing to apply for this doctoral programme, you will need endorsement by a mentor from UJA.
Research topic: Fluid Mechanics and Aerospace Engineering
|Ahedo Galilea, Eduardo||0000-0003-2148-4553||UC3M|
|Alcrudo Sánchez, Francisco||0000-0002-7170-0130||UNIZAR|
|Aliod Sebastián, Ricardo||0000-0001-6960-2702||UNIZAR|
|Arias Zugasti, Manuel||0000-0002-0408-2379||UNED|
|Ballester Castañer, Javier||0000-0003-2863-4681||UNIZAR|
|Barreras Toledo, Félix||0000-0002-5391-8021||CSIC/UNIZAR|
|Barroso Estébanez, Jorge||0000-0002-0063-1318||UNIZAR|
|Bolaños Jiménez, Rocío||UJA|
|Brufau García, Pilar||0000-0002-0415-0001||UNIZAR|
|Castillo, José Luis||0000-0003-0686-2544||UNED|
|Cuesta Romeo, Ildefonso||0000-0002-4948-5569||URIV|
|Fueyo Díaz, Norberto||0000-0001-6205-5160||UNIZAR|
|García Navarro, Pilar||0000-0001-8674-1042||UNIZAR|
|García Ybarra, Pedro L.||0000-0001-6173-6087||UNED|
|García-Villalba Navaridas, Manuel||0000-0002-6953-2270||UC3M|
|Gutiérrez Montes, Cándido||0000-0003-1123-2002||UJA|
|Hauke Bernardos, Guillermo||0000-0001-7802-3411||UNIZAR|
|Higuera Antón, Francisco||0000-0002-9273-6415||UPM|
|Huera Huarte, Francisco||0000-0002-5447-3183||URV|
|Iglesias Estradé, Immaculada||UC3M|
|Jiménez Fernández, Javier||UPM|
|Jiménez González, José Ignacio||UJA|
|Jiménez Torrecilla, Santiago||UNIZAR|
|López Juste, Gregorio||0000-0002-7663-9084||UPM|
|Lozano Fantoba, Antonio||0000-0003-4141-6072||CSIC/UNIZAR|
|Martel Escobar, Carlos||0000-0001-7534-886X||UPM|
|Martín Yagüe, Jesús||0000-0003-3908-0493||UNIZAR|
|Martínez Bazán, Carlos||0000-0003-2023-4691||UJA|
|Murillo Casterlanas, Javier||0000-0002-1386-5543||UNIZAR|
|Pallarès Curto, Jordi||0000-0003-0305-2714||URV|
|Pascau Benito, Antonio||0000-0003-1161-7893||UNIZAR|
|Perea Covarrubias, Álvaro||UNED|
|Rodríguez Fernández, Manuel||0000-0003-3037-6968||UPM|
|Rodríguez Rodríguez, Javier||0000-0002-8002-2837||UC3M|
|Sánchez Pérez, Antonio Luis||0000-0002-9461-4745||UC3M|
|Sánchez Sanz, Mario||0000-0002-3183-9920||UC3M|
|Sevilla Santiago, Alejandro||0000-0002-0300-5814||UC3M|
|Valiño García, Luis||0000-0002-2384-5896||UNIZAR|
|Vega de Prada, José Manuel||0000-0002-4307-9623||UPM|
|Vera Coello, Marcos||0000-0001-6878-1788||UC3M|
|Vernet Peña, Anton||0000-0002-7028-1368||URV|
During the course of your PhD thesis, you will be asked to take a set of training activities aimed at achieving the main competences that every PhD from the University of Jaen must develop by the end of doctoral studies:
Compulsory training activities
- General: Framework of doctoral studies.
- General: Framework of scientific research. Research policies.
- General: Design and follow-up of research projects.
- General: Knowledge transfer.
- General: Dissemination of research results.
- General: Employment and researcher career.
- Specific: Relevant contribution from the PhD thesis.
In addition, the student may also get enrolled in other training activities (most of which are programme-specific), aimed at acquisition of specific competences of this doctoral programme.
Optional training activities:
- General: Doctoral seminars.
- Specific: Active participation in seminars, conferences, symposia, courses and workshops.
- Specific: Short-term visit (minimum three months) to a foreign research institution (compulsory for students willing to achieve the International mention in their PhD degree).
You may check the calendar of training activities.
You can get more detailed information on the procedures for registration for the different activities and available grants.
All general training activities are in Spanish. Some specific training activities may be in English.
PhD students must pass a yearly evaluation of their activities. This includes general compulsory activities of doctoral studies and specific optional activities offered by the programme. After enrolment, you will receive a link for completion of your Student´s record of training activities and Research plan. All the student´s activities will be registered and certified according to an established procedure.
Each year, students must present proof of participation in at least two training activities. Nonetheless, the Academic commission may issue a positive evaluation for students with only one activity if this is duly justified.
The studies are duly completed with the presentation of the PhD thesis and the student´s public dissertation.
After completion of the Research Plan and Training activities, students may proceed to the public defense of their PhD thesis once the thesis has received initial approval from the PhD thesis supervisor(s) and the Academic Committee of the PhD programme as well as final approval from the Steering Committee of the Doctoral School. In order to receive this approval, the thesis must have achieved a relevant contribution signed by the PhD student as first author. The adequacy of the contribution will be determined according to the criteria established by the Comisión Nacional Evaluadora de la Actividad Investigadora (CNEAI) for the main areas of research and knowledge.
The doctoral thesis may be developed and defended in any of the languages commonly used for scientific communication in its field of research. If the thesis is written in a foreign language, it must include a document written in Spanish and signed by the thesis supervisor(s) containing the following information: title of the thesis, table of contents, introduction, a meaningful summary and conclusions.
At the time of finishing your thesis you may need to check the rules that apply for anti-plagiarism policies, deposit and thesis defense. The following link provides detailed information on the different processes related to the doctoral thesis.
Broadening your experience in other universities now becomes essential in a scenario where information, enterprise and society are globalized. Short-term visits (of at least 3 months) to a foreing institution allow doctoral students to achieve the International mention in their diploma. In addition, the option of Joint Supervision allows you to achieve a PhD degree issued simultaneously by University of Jaen and by a foreign university. Under this modality of study, you will be assigned a thesis supervisor in each of the participating universities under the conditions laid down in the corresponding cotutelle agreement.
PhD students may also spend part or most of their training period in a company. The mention of Industrial Doctorate can be obtained provided that the topic of the thesis is embedded in the research strategy of a company to which the doctoral student is bound by a contractual agreement.
There are different sources of short-term mobility grants for doctoral students: FPU, FPI, PAIDI, Plan Operativo de Apoyo a la Investigación from the University of Jaen, Doctoral School, Erasmus mobility grants, and the Campuses of International Excellence.
Complementary Study Programs
The University of Jaén is committed to an integral training of its students. On this page you will find complementary training activities that will allow you to configure a comprehensive curriculum that favors your employability and your professional and personal development. Check this page regularly because the information is continuously updated.
There are no programs of complementary studies that match the specified filter criteria.
Internship Training in Companies
The University of Jaen is aware that internships in companies can be essential to your professional career. For that reason, it offers a range of options for you to get enrolled in extracurricular internships, including the University programmes for entrepreneurial activities and Icaro programme. The calls from University of Jaen´s Plan de Apoyo a la Transferencia del Conocimiento, el Emprendimiento y la Empleabilidad may offer you multiple options to facilitate your incorporation to the world of work.
This doctoral programme provides an advanced multidisciplinary training that will prepare you for teaching, research and professional careers in a wide range of industrial sectors. More specifically, the career prospects are oriented to: a) Academic and research career in universities and research centers, both in Spain and abroad. B) Companies having research and development as a core activity. This includes industrial sectors related to Fluid Mechanics, Energy, Biotechnology, and Aerospace. Furthermore, the training in data analysis acquired by PhD students from this doctoral programme makes them attractive professionals for companies working in advanced consulting, Big Data, and modeling of financial and investment markets, among others.
Coordination and Quality
The academic coordination commission is the collegiate body in charge of direction and academic management of the title. It interacts directly with the students and is in charge of programming the academic activities offered to the students, preparing the calendar, as well as other academic aspects necessary for an optimal development of the title. It will also be in charge of introducing the modifications included in the improvement process proposed by the title´s Quality Assurance System.
- Coordinator: Cándido Gutiérrez Montes
- Pedro García Ybarra. Universidad Nacional de Educación a Distancia
- Francisco Huera Huarte. Universitat Rovira i Virgili
- Francisco Higuera Antón. Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
- Mario Sánchez Sanz. Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
- Norberto Fueyo Diaz. Universidad de Zaragoza
The Internal Quality Assurance Commission of the Doctoral programme performs the function of promoting and facilitating the continued improvement of the different activities (teaching, research, transfer of results, administrative issues) concerning the title. It also analyses the academic results and the level of satisfaction the title and prepares the improvement plan that the Academic commission will then put in practice.
- President: Cándido Gutiérrez Montes
- Secretary: Javier Rodríguez Rodríguez (miembro de la universidad Carlos III de Madrid)
- Francisco Huera Huate (miembro de la Universidad Rovira i Virgili)
- Jose Manuel Vega de Prada (miembro de la UPM)
- Javier Ballester Castañer (miembro de la Universidad de Zaragoza)
- José Luis Castillo Gimeno (miembro de la UNED)
- Javier Rus Ruiz (Investigador en Formación)
- (No disponemos de PAS vinculado a la gestión del Programa)
The quality assurance system of Jaen University has a two-tiered structure of responsibility. On one side, the corresponding Vice-Rectorate coordinates the quality evaluation process for the different titles, departments and university services and, on the other, the Academic Centre in charge of the title, which applies its Quality Assurance System. The Internal Quality Assurance System of this doctoral programme is available at the following link: Quality Assurance System of the Doctoral School.
All official titles given by Jaen University undergo different evaluation processes by the Directorate of Evaluation and Accreditation (DEVA) of the Agencia Andaluza del Conocimiento. The different evaluation reports of this title (verification, modification, follow-up and renewal of accreditation) are available through the following link: Evaluation Reports of University Degrees.
The relevant information for this title concerning number of new enrolments, academic results and student´s level of satisfaction with the title is available at the University Statistical Yearbook under the headings “Estudiantes” and “Satisfacción de los grupos de interés”.
You may also check the dropout rates for the titles given by Jaen University.
Employability is one of the most important elements of the quality of the title. You can take a look at the report on employability for the different titles at the University report on employability where you will find the most common professional careers of people who took this doctorate before you.